WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Encrypted cookies

From: "Brokken, Allen P." <BrokkenA () missouri edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:02:01 -0600

Since the hash vector is username, password, and date it's fairly easy
to do known plaintext+ciphtertext attacks against the cookie to learn
what the actual algorithm is for creating the cookie. Once you've got
that you should be able to do pretty much anything you want to crack the
app itself.

You mention a long story, so I won't go on about the dangers of
developers rolling their own auth/crypto/session management rather than
using something trusted.  This clearly has layer 8 or 9 issues involved.

An alternate approach might be to offload the authentication/generation
of the cookie to a known good and security tested system like Shibboleth
rather than rolling their own authentication/authorization.  It does
things similarly, but isn't relying on the developer to have figured out
the best way to generate these things and keep them secure.

Another alternative would be to consider basic authentication with SSL.
It's not pretty, and has its own issues, but again isn't dependent on
the end developer rolling all their own auth/crypto.

Allen Brokken, Principal Systems Security Analyst
Information Security and Account Management
Division of Information Technology, University of Missouri
brokkena () missouri edu (573)884-8708