WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Securing password between webserver & appserver.

From: arvind doraiswamy <arvind.doraiswamy () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:59:55 +0530

Hey Chintan,
Yes client side certificates are possible but a big pain if you have a
large number of users to whom you have to distribute them too.

However I'm curious, a properly implemented salted hash solution where
the salt is randomly generated and matched on the server each time the
client sends it will prevent a lot of attacks. Note - the server
decides the salt, not the client.

So while I am not contesting your requirement and your reasons I think
that not much harm is done even if the webserver sees the
salted-hashed password. It can't be cracked , it can't be replayed so
what's the problem?

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Arvind