WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Social Security Number in Hidden field

From: Antti Virtanen <Antti.Virtanen () solita fi>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:11:25 +0000

For a similar reason I have also implemented such a feature once. The
customer was fully aware that the information is not really safe, but they
wanted to prevent casual observer from seeing such information. In modern
office environments the observer doesn’t need to be in close proximity and
I think this is a valid concern.

In my case the sensitive fields were “encrypted", but with a weak
algorithm. Vulnerable to a malicious admin or MITM, but this was the least
worry in such scenario.

--
Antti Virtanen
Software Architect