WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: concurrent logins

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:37:44 +0000

On 24 November 2014 at 08:03, Stephen de Vries
<stephen () continuumsecurity net> wrote:
The reason I was thinking about this is the thing I was reading was
suggesting to prevent session hijacking that concurrent logins should
not be allowed, 2FA stops actual logins but not hijacks.

Session hijacking is only possible after some other vulnerability in the site is exploited, e.g. XSS, or lack of
HTTPS.  So I would first focus the effort into countermeasures for those vulnerabilities and only afterwards start
thinking about secondary countermeasures against session hijacking itself.

Agreed that defending against things like XSS is important but having
a policy on concurrent logins from the start of development is part of
good defence in depth and is something that you can write provable
tests for as opposed to XSS which is harder to do definitive testing
for without getting a tester in.

A countermeasure not yet mentioned is to authenticate specific high risk requests with a password, or PIN.  E.g. when
initiating a transaction like funds transfer/payment/password change, you could require the user to re-enter the
password so that that specific request is authenticated.

That is a good measure that helps protect high value areas.

Robin

regards,

—
Stephen de Vries
CTO Continuum Security
Mobile: +34 616 33 81 38
UK: +44 20 3137 0944
@stephendv

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus