WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: concurrent logins

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:29:59 +0000

On 19 November 2014 16:41, Seth Art <sethsec () gmail com> wrote:
As a user, I love how gmail does it, and I would love to see that more.

As a tester, I personally treat this one as more of a recommendation than a
finding in most cases.  I find this one is difficult to defend in findings
review meetings, especially given the challenges you mention, and the
pervasiveness of popular applications on the internet that allow concurrent
logins.

I think you covered the ways to handle this very well.  I think it just
depends on the level of security you want to achieve.  I guess a slightly
modified option would be to add some logic similar to what some of the 2FA
solutions do now:  You could require an extra step if the IP (or a
combination of characteristics) of the second session has not been seen
before.

I think this is going to be my main stance, suggest it, give reasons
for and against and let the business make the decsions.

I think there is a stronger argument for it when you've been able to
demonstrate session hijacking or some type of login failure during the
test but that also warrants discussions over the general login and
session handling.

Robin

Seth