Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: g_mem-chunk_destroy does not free memory for GLib > 2.8

From: Bill Meier <wmeier () newsguy com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 09:31:40 -0400

Kovarththanan Rajaratnam wrote:
Hey Bill,

Is there any reason why we couldn't use se_alloc and friends? This
should be faster now that we're defaulting to _not_ use canaries for
seasonal memory.

Using se_alloc is the conclusion I came to.... (when the code frees
GMemChunk memory per-capture).

However: packet-isakmp destroys GMemChunks more often. I haven't yet
looked at the other dissectors (and other code) using GMemChunks to see
if there are other cases wherein GMemChunks are destroyed more often
than every capture.

If so, it occurs to me that it might be quite simple to just allow
dissectors & etc  to init/alloc/free their own emem_chunks using
slightly generalized emem code.....

Bill