Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Not seeing other packets in promiscuous mode

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:49:53 -0800

(Asking two unrelated questions in a single mail message is not the ideal.)

On Jan 10, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Hrishikesh Murali wrote:

I have another problem. I am connected in a LAN using ethernet, and I use wireshark to sniff packets through my
interface. Even though I enable promiscuous mode, I am still only able to see packets going in and out of my system,
even though other users are active in the LAN. Does this mean the network is a point-to-point network?

It probably means that the LAN is switched.

See, for example, this entry in the Wireshark FAQ:

        http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q7.1