Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: TCP connection is still in ESTABLISH state actually it is disconnected

From: Jack Jackson <jack () pebbleridge com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 12:01:43 -0700

At 11:16 AM 5/30/2010, Bo Xu wrote:
Hello Guys ,

         Today I have found 2 TCP connection is in ESTABLISH state while
the peer side said they have already disconnected the connection ,
 but even they stopped the application , the 2 TCP connection is till
there :(  .

         Now I am wondering when the OS will release these 2 fake
ESTABLISH connection .  I digged this issue by google , and I have found
 these parameter in  my OS which is AIX 5.8 .  So AIX will release these
2 connection according the tcp_keepidle (2 hours ) , Am I right ?

And what tcp_keepintvl  stands for ?

        tcp_keepidle = 14400
             tcp_keepinit = 150
            tcp_keepintvl = 150

My understanding is that tcp_keepidle is the time before the first
keep-alive probe is sent.  If no response is received, tcp_keepintvl
determines how often subsequent probes are sent.  tcp_keepcnt determines
how many probes are sent without a response before the connection is dropped.

Since I believe those values for AIX are in unit of 1/2 seconds, after 2
hours the first probe will be sent.  Every 75 seconds another probe will be
sent.  When the tcp_keepcnt number have been sent (probably something like
8) with nothing received, the connection will be dropped.  So I would
expect the connection to be dropped about 2 hours and 11 minutes after the
connection goes idle.