Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: N in 1 packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:02:44 -0800

On Dec 11, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Akos Vandra wrote:

I thought I will decode these timestamp messages, and use them to
construct the pcap_pkthdr structure's ts field, as the arrival time
cannot be manipulated later from within a dissector

That's probably the best thing to do.  "X us have passed" probably aren't, in and of themselves, interesting events.

What do you mean I have to provide a description of the messages? They
just contain the message source ID (there are multiple trace sources
within the trace peripheral for hardware messages, software
(printf-like) messages, and instruction tracing), and the message raw
data, nothing special.

Then you'd say that a message consists of an n-byte message source ID in whatever byte order it's in if n > 1, followed
by some number of bytes of payload; a reference to an ARM document, even if you have to be a Registered Customer to see
it, would suffice as a description of the payload.  Presumably the number of bytes of payload would be the total packet
length minus the length of the message source ID.

See

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

for examples of how link-layer header types are described.