Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How should plugins handle coloring

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:05:11 -0700

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:56:54PM +0100, Roland Knall wrote:

Normally, I would just add a coloring rule to the colorlist, but as my
dissector has been implemented as a plugin, it would not always be
present.

Is it still acceptable to add the rule to colorlist (above the tcp
rule), or should I search for another solution?

Wireshark will display an error message dialog when a coloring rule
exists for a protocol that it doesn't recognize.  I can't think of
another way at the moment.