Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark problem report

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:02:05 +1000

Unfortunately Debian/Ubuntu has chosen to use "safe" defaults rather than
"sane" ones when they packaged wireshark. As per
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=761461 the issue will be that
Wireshark doesn't have privileges to open interfaces for capture.

While the quick-and-dirty (and potentially unsafe) way is to just run "sudo
wireshark" from the command-line, I use the "Other Linux based systems or
other installation methods" as specified in
 http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com