Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Building when both python versions 2 and 3 are present

From: Chris Maynard <chris.maynard () gtech com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:49:19 +0000 (UTC)

Stephen Fisher <steve@...> writes:

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:30:26PM -0400, ptchinster wrote:

Is there a way to *force* the location of python to be
/usr/bin/python2 ? I've tried several different ways with configure's
--with-python flag but have been unsuccessful so far.

I don't think t here is a way, but I'm not very familiar with
Wireshark's python support other than a glance through configure.in just
now.

Well, one way that might work, (but this is a bit of a hack), would be to
temporarily do this:

mv /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python3
ln -sf /usr/bin/python2 /usr/bin/python

Compile Wireshark, then when done either move python3 back to python or change
the symlink:

ln -sf /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python

The more important question is: why isn't Wireshark working with Python v3?

That is a good question.  Ultimately it would be better just to get Wireshark to
work with python3 and not have to worry about this.