Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: asn2wrs conformance TYPE_ATTR problem

From: Risto Paasila <risto () longpoint org au>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 16:38:32 +1000

OCTET STRING means a sequence of octets opaque to the protocol nothing to do
with STRING as in text.
an implementation of the protocol can chose to put text in an OCTET STRING.
For example UserID := OCTET STRING can contain 0xfffff or "MyID".
You can use #.TYPE_ATTR to change hf definition but formally you should
probably put code in the conformance
file to check if the OCTET STRING contains printable characters and then
output it as a string. Unless theres
is something in the protocol description saying that the OCTET STRING should
contain text there is no
guarantee that it will.
Regards
Andes

Thanks. You're right of course that I should do checking.

What I was getting at was why doesn't it output the FT_STRING type
into the HF array?

Regards
Risto