Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: asn2wrs conformance TYPE_ATTR problem

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:58:53 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Risto Paasila
Sent: den 3 maj 2011 13:23
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] asn2wrs conformance TYPE_ATTR problem

Did I miss something? a arbitrary long field of binary data can not be FT_STRING.
/Anders

The field that I initially had in question was:

 correlationID [0] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING (SIZE(14))

So it should be maximum 14 octets. Is that still arbitrary?
No, as the octet string has size constraints but still the hf field constructed for an OCTET STRING
Should be FT_BYTES as its Binary data, if a implementation chooses to put a string in that field you
Can override that by defining a .#ATTRIB (I think) but be aware that some other manufacturer/protocol implementer my
put binary data in there and then the dissection would be wrong. Unless it's specified that even though the
Asn1 spec is OCTET STRING a utf8 string should be put in that field.
Regards
Anders

Thanks
Risto.