Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: *.pcap file?

From: hadi motamedi <motamedi24 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 13:52:00 +0430

On 8/25/12, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 24, 2012, at 9:13 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:

Dear All
To troubleshoot my case, I captured the following log file from my
linux server as the following:
#tcpdump -i any -s 1500 -vvv -w /tmp/mss0-pps.pcap
But my wireshark cannot open it, returning "unknown file format" .

On what machine are you running Wireshark?  The Linux server on which you
ran tcpdump, or some other machine?

If the file is still present in /tmp on the Linux server, what does the
command "file /tmp/mss0-pps.pcap" print when you run it on that server?

If you are running Wireshark on a different machine:

      1) What OS is the other machine running - Windows, or some flavor of UN*X?

      2) Did you copy the file to the machine on which you're running Wireshark,
or is it being exported over some remote file system such as NFS or SMB?

      3) If you copied it, how did you copy it?

      4) If that machine is running UN*X, or if it's running Windows and you have
Cygwin installed, what does "file" print when you run it on that machine?
(Run "file" from Cygwin if the machine is running Windows.)

Can you please let me know how can I recover this damaged file ?

No, because we don't know what the problem is - but if, for example, it was
copied from Linux to Windows with a program that thought it was copying a
text file, and therefore "helpfully" converted the UN*X text file line
ending (LF by itself) to the DOS/Windows text file line ending (CR-LF),
then, unfortunately, it may or may not be able to repair it usefully.  The
Web page for pcapfix:

      http://freecode.com/projects/pcapfix

claims that it supports a -d flag that "force[s] packet detection inside the
whole file, and repairs ascii-corruption pcap header (Unix->Windows).", but
whether it can detect and repair damage to *raw packet data* caused by the
LF-to-CRLF conversion is another matter.

If you copied the file from Linux to Windows, and if the file is still on
the Linux server, I'd suggest

      1) making sure nobody deletes it from the Linux server

and

      2) try copying it in some fashion that *doesn't* "helpfully" translate UN*X
to DOS/Windows line endings, but that just copies the raw bytes of the
file.

(By the way, the snapshot-length argument to "-s" includes everything in the
packet, *including link-layer headers*, so 1500 is the *wrong* value to use
in most if not all cases - for example, if you're capturing on an Ethernet
device, it's 14 bytes too short to capture a full-sized Ethernet packet, and
if you're capturing on the "any" device, it's 16 bytes too short to capture
a full-sized Ethernet packet.  I would use 65535 or 65536 instead, as that
should be big enough for most link-layer headers.

Thank you very much for your help. Please be informed that I collected
the file on my centos server and then sftp it to my windows machine
that has wireshark running on it. I need to analyze the sccp portion
of this file on my windows machine. The file command on my centos
machine shows it as "data".