Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: *.pcap file?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:57:40 -0700

On Aug 25, 2012, at 2:22 AM, hadi motamedi wrote:

Thank you very much for your help. Please be informed that I collected
the file on my centos server and then sftp it to my windows machine
that has wireshark running on it. I need to analyze the sccp portion
of this file on my windows machine. The file command on my centos
machine shows it as "data".

OK, so even the machine on which you captured it doesn't think it's a pcap file.  This means that it really might not
be a pcap file.

What do the commands

        uname -sr

and

        tcpdump -h

print on the CentOS machine?

If you run the command

        od -bc /tmp/mss0-pps.pcap | head

(or wherever the file is now) on the CentOS machine, what does it print?