Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: SVN HEAD not building

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:40:38 -0700

On May 26, 2012, at 7:30 PM, Bill Meier wrote:

I did (had to do ?) a complete rm config.cache, ./autogen.sh and ./configure sequence before doing  make to get rid
of the error.

I had a similar problem, but I didn't have to do "rm config.cache" - re-running autogen.sh and configure was sufficient.

(I was too lazy to determine the actual reason for the error).

I think the actual reason for the error is "automake does not generate Makefile.in files that have a sufficient number
of dependencies to force a rebuild of everything that needs to be rebuilt if something included by a Makefile.am file
is changed". :-)  Perhaps, due to limitations of (GNU) make, "does not" should be replaced by "cannot".