Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: ATM over Ethernet

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:53:31 -0800

On Nov 5, 2012, at 4:14 AM, Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker () bennee com> wrote:

We use a fairly simple ATM over Ethernet encapsulation for linking old
ATM based circuits with modern Ethernet based hardware. I was able to
enable the packet-atm.c to decde these frames very easily (see
attached) but I was looking for pointers for the next bit.

Currently I can't see a way to specify treating the rest of the frame
as multiple frames. Do I need to extend the ATM dissector to call
itself if the remaining frame is larger than 53 bytes?

No, you need to implement a dissector for your ATM-over-Ethernet encapsulation that repeatedly calls the ATM dissector
for each cell.  Multiple cells encapsulated in an Ethernet packet is a characteristic of your encapsulation, not of
ATM, so the code to handle that should be part of the dissector for your encapsulation, not the dissector for ATM.

Also how is the AAL encoding determined? Should I just register the
handlers for the multiple AAL types and let the user decide?

Yes.  The AAL encoding is determined by whatever AAL information is in the capture file, and I suspect that is often
put there by a user explicitly configuring the capturing machine.