Wireshark mailing list archives

Building for Windows without zlib?

From: Martin Mathieson <martin.r.mathieson () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:53:29 +0100

Hi,

At one stage, building without zlib support meant that opening/reading
files was much faster than with.  On this machine, the performance under
Windows is much worse than under linux, so I wanted to try doing a windows
build in this way.

There are 2 places in config.nmake that let you comment out the definition
of ZLIB_DIR, so I commented out them both.
The build went OK, but when I tried to run, an error would pop up saying
that gzdirect couldn't be found in zlib1.dll.

Is anyone currently doing windows builds without zlib, and if it works, is
it noticeably faster?

Martin