Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: GSoC 2013 Project Proposal for Root permissions in wireshark

From: Phil Turmel <philip () turmel org>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:43:20 -0400

On 04/24/2013 10:24 AM, Surbhi Jain wrote:
Hi all,

A normal user must have the permissions to capture and view the packet
info. till layer 5 if that belongs to his request from server. He can be
able to save a packet, to delete a packet, to edit a packet and sent it
back to the server.

Packet contains the info for the identification of the host ( IP address +
Port number). I think we can use the options field of TCP header to contain
the name of the owner of the packet in encrypted form. And this owner field
must be checked with the current logged in user before opening the packet.
This will ensure the security.

With reference to my previous post, I think we can't openly change the
permissions of the dumpcap .

I need the discussions and help to carry forward this idea or come up with
better ideas.

The distribution I use, gentoo, sets up a "wireshark" group.  Members of
the group may use promiscuous mode on network interfaces.

Check your distro's documentation.

Phil