Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Get_cpu_info on platforms other than Windows?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:48:45 -0800

On Feb 6, 2013, at 12:13 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

Whether an asm would work would depend more on the compiler than on the OS;

...but, then again, maybe the OS has already done all the heavy lifting for you:

        $ uname -sr
        Darwin 12.2.1
        $ sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string
        machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

I.e, on OS X, you can use sysctl() to get the brand string, at least on some x86 processors.

On FreeBSD 7 and 9, and OpenBSD 4.8, at least, hw.model gives you that information (it gives you the *system* model,
e.g. MacBookPro10,1, on OS X).

On NetBSD 5.1, machdep.cpu_brand does it.

On at least some versions of Linux:

        $ uname -sr
        Linux 2.6.22-16-generic
        $ egrep 'model name' /proc/cpuinfo
        model name      :       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz
        model name      :       Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz

The virtual machine in question is, to quote VMware, "configured to use: 2 processor cores"; I don't know whether that
means that it looks like a single chip with two cores, or two separate chips, and I don't know whether Linux reports
one or N model names for a single N-core chip.  Do we want to report the number of CPU cores?  (I don't know if any SMP
machines have a mix of different CPU models, so I don't know if we need to worry about reporting multiple brand
strings.)