Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: where is WTAP_ENCAP type 80 (K12) in Import menue/or why is it not there?

From: Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 07:24:05 +0100

If the file you have in front of you is "with WTAP_ENCAP 42", then it's
either:

1) a pcap file with a link-layer encapsulation type of 140
(LINKTYPE_MTP2/DLT_MTP2)

or

2) a pcap-ng file all the interfaces of which have a link-layer
encapsulation type of 140 (LINKTYPE_MTP2/DLT_MTP2).

It's definitely not an rf5 file, as they all are given a WTAP_ENCAP_ value
of WTAP_ENCAP_K12 by Wireshark.
I have several captures. One of them is definitely in rf5 format, another
one is definitely in pcap format. What I meant is  that from looking  at
supported DLT_TYPEs and then WTAP_ENCAP (sets of supported encapsulations
are different) it appeared to me that development of wireshark and
tcereplay happens totally independent from each other -- previously I
thought/hoped that it happens in more coordinated way.
That is why I asked then:
 Does it mean that the development of wireshark/wiretap
 and tcpreplay happens in totally independent way?
in order to be sure that this is indeed what (somewhat sadly) happens.

So, looks like I will have to delve deeper in this DLT plugin stuff.

/wbr
Ariel Burbaickij