Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Status Cmake Win32 support

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 19:31:27 +0100

On 11 October 2013 16:09, Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de> wrote:

Another milestone hit:

- Win 32bit: The following executables build and run from the build
directory
  (as well as capture if they should be able to). *: Acutally tested
  $ ls *exe
  capinfos.exe* dumpcap.exe  mergecap.exe  randpkt.exe   reordercap.exe
 tshark.exe*
  dftest.exe    editcap.exe  qtshark.exe*  rawshark.exe  text2pcap.exe
wireshark.exe*

Using CMake to generate a MSVC2010 solution, I can't get near that number
of successful executables.  I have used the CMake generated solution with
command line build (msbuild Wireshark.sln) and from within VS.  I do have
modified CMake files in an attempt to group the "projects" in Visual Studio
into some sort of logical tree rather than the large flat list.  I don't
believe these changes affect the CMake output to actually build things.
I've also enabled the use of make-tap-reg.py for creating the tap register
functions which seems to work.

Problems I have seen \ am stuck with:

   - epan generated files always get rebuilt, e.g. diam_dict.c and the like
   - epan won't create register.c, make-dissector-reg.py complains about a
   missing file, from the output the filename looks odd, I suspect I'm hitting
   some command line limit:

1>  Generating register.c
1>  Registering 1151 files, 0 cached
1>  Traceback (most recent call last):
1>    File "E:/Wireshark/trunk/tools/make-dissector-reg.py", line 126, in
<module>
1>      file = open(filename)
1>  IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'E:/Wireshark/trunk/epan\\dissectos/packet-dua.c'
1>C:\Program Files
(x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(151,5): error
MSB6006: "cmd.exe" exited with code 1.

   -  gtkui won't build with GTK3, missing the pango includes:
1>e:\Wireshark\wireshark-win32-libs\gtk3\include\gtk-3.0\gdk/gdktypes.h(35):
   fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pango/pango.h': No such file
   or directory
   - There are the dumpabi projects that I'm not sure are needed for win32;
   dumpabi, dumpabi-libwireshark, dumpabi-libwiretap, dumpabi-libwsutil.
   - My final score on the projects in the solution is:

E:\Wireshark\build>dir /s /w *.exe
 Directory of E:\Wireshark\build\Debug
capinfos.exe     dumpcap.exe      editcap.exe      mergecap.exe
randpkt.exe      reordercap.exe   text2pcap.exe
 Directory of E:\Wireshark\build\tools\lemon\Debug
lemon.exe

E:\Wireshark\build>dir /s /w *.dll
 Directory of E:\Wireshark\build\lib\Debug
wiretap.dll   wsutil.dll

E:\Wireshark\build>dir /s /w *.lib
 Directory of E:\Wireshark\build\Debug
capinfos.lib     editcap.lib      mergecap.lib     reordercap.lib
 Directory of E:\Wireshark\build\lib\Debug
codecs.lib    gtkui.lib     ui.lib        wiretap.lib   wsutil.lib

Graham