Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Idea for process image dissection

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws () darkjames pl>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:35:21 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 10:17:45AM +0200, Roland Knall wrote:
I just wanted to bring something by you guys, if it would be worth implementing.

I work on the openSAFETY and EPL dissectors. Both are fieldbus
specific implementations. As such the communicate process images as
payloads. This is the same with nearly all other fieldbus
implementations i know (CanOpen, Profinet, SercosIII, ...).

As such, to a unknown user this displays simply as a byte payload. Now
it may be useful, to dissect the payload in some cases, as such we may
be able to search for specific fields triggering in the payload.

For such a dissection, we need to tell a dissector, how to dissect a
specific payload.

Have you checked decode as dialog implementation? If you want to make it generic great for me.