Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 23:40:16 +0200

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 01:57:12PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
On Oct 3, 2013, at 8:04 PM, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg () gmail com> wrote:

There is very little overlap between samba needs and wireshark needs for PIDL.
It is probably better to continue running two separate forks of PIDL,
one for samba and one for wireshark.

Switching to samba PIDL seems to be a lot of work for miniscule gain.
And who will do the work?

Are you referring to forking PIDL, the language, or to forking PIDL, the tool that translates PIDL-the-language
descriptions into code for {Samba,Wireshark,...}?

If I understand it correctly, he is talking about the backend: There are
different backends for Samba3, Samba4 and Wireshark. The Wireshark backend
differs quite a lot from the Samba backends.
pidl/lib/Parse/Pidl/ is the location of the backends.

Ciao
   jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>