Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: fuzzing UDP/TCP dissectors with no port assignment

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 13:57:28 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of mmann78 ()
netscape net
Sent: den 8 oktober 2013 15:23
To: wireshark-dev () wireshark org
Subject: [Wireshark-dev] fuzzing UDP/TCP dissectors with no port assignment

Anders brought up a question in bug 9241 that I've always been curious about (and I think the discussion is better
served on -dev than the bug).  We have many >TCP/UDP dissectors that don't have an IANA assigned port number or are
not setup as heuristic dissectors.  In these cases their port number = 0 and it's up to >a user preference to set it
to a value corresponding to their trace.  If that step is required to invoke the dissector, how are the fuzzbots
handling it?   Are all of >these dissectors just not getting fuzzed?

Yes I'm pretty sure that's the case, and I also think we have the case of user DLT etc. The best would be if it was
possible to add pseudo information to the trace files setting the needed preferences. It would be possible to have tags
in the SHB of pcap-ng files but I'm not sure we want to go that route.
A new Wireshark specific block would be much better. Another possibility would be to have a template file with the file
name and the required tshark parameters or indicating a profile to be used together with the file in question but it
would require a bit of work to set up I suppose.

Regards
Anders