Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] master fc5d8db: Create the HTTP tree after we're assured it's HTTP. Otherwise a bogus tree is created when HTTP2 traffic is found.

From: Peter Wu <lekensteyn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 23:24:55 +0200

On Thursday 24 April 2014 16:41:02 mmann78 () netscape net wrote:
After looking at this, I'd have to say the DTLS decryption test is
"flawed".  It sets up a key to decifer traffic as HTTP, but it's not really
HTTP, it's just a bunch of ASCII strings.  I can change it to any of the
valid dissectors and presuming the DTLS decyption is done correctly (which
I presume is the real point of this test), that protocol will attempt to be
dissected in the subsequent frames (and be caught by that protocol's
filter).

Ideas on the best way to fix this so I can restore removing the "bogus" HTTP
tree when it's not really HTTP?

The Wireshark GUI has some panels for data sources on the bottom which shows
"Frame" and "Decrypted DTLS data". If something like "dtls.data.data" and/or
"dtls.data.str" (or something generic for all data sources) would be added,
then that would solve this problem.

Though I don't know how feasible this is, in terms of memory and CPU.

Kind regards,
Peter