Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: should extcap dir be a preference?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:51:38 -0700

On Aug 26, 2014, at 6:57 AM, Martin Kaiser <lists () kaiser cx> wrote:

at the moment, the directory for the extcap binaries is defined at
compile time.

When I first tried extcap a year ago, I created a patch to make the
extcap directory a preference. This was much easier for me to handle
when I played with several extcaps that needed frequent recompiling.

So why is it easier to handle with the directory being a preference?  As far as I know, we don't have a preference for
the directory in which Lua scripts are found, for example.

Is it because the extcaps were in *different* directories, and you needed to point Wireshark at the directory for the
extcap on which you're working?

If so, does that make the path more like $PATH, so that you might want to have a *list* of directories?