Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Omnivorous Shark

From: mmann78 () netscape net
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 11:45:32 -0500 (EST)

Without looking at the details of the patch, my thoughts are:

1. I like the fact that a "workaround" has been created for insufficient heuristics.  I just hope it doesn't have the
unintended consequence of weaker heuristics being created.

2. What I don't like is getting non capture file support (hooks) "for free", therefore having Wirehark support non
capture file types (outside of the handful that commonly come across network protocols).  I've been (slowly) working on
separating "Fileshark" functionality from Wireshark with the distinct difference of "capture file" vs "non-capture
file" (or treating capture file as binary).  Yes, writing a new GUI for non-capture files will be an arduous task
(which is why I started with a command line interface to work out the architecture), but I still believe we want the
distinction of "Wireshark" separate from "FileShark" and not have an "OmniShark" that does both just because the
underlying architecture is generic enough to support it.  I'd prefer the geneic architecture (with some futher
tweaking) just do "double duty" for separate applications.

Michael