Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 52115: /trunk/epan/ /trunk/epan/: addr_resolv.c

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:59:04 -0500

On 09/17/13 00:55, etxrab () wireshark org wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=52115

User: etxrab
Date: 2013/09/16 09:55 PM

Log:
  Don't call gethostbyaddr() we have already read the local hosts file, settle for that.

Directory: /trunk/epan/
   Changes    Path             Action
   +0 -30     addr_resolv.c    Modified

Hmmm, this change means that on systems without C-ARES or GNU ADNS, external name resolution does not work at all (even for stuff that's in /etc/hosts).

Any objection to reverting this?

Or if we really want to kill off gethostbyaddr() we should disable "Use external name resolver" when we don't have an asynchronous name resolver (to make it obvious to the user s/he has a system where we don't want to do name resolutions).