Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 52115: /trunk/epan/ /trunk/epan/: addr_resolv.c

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman () ericsson com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 09:57:09 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces () wireshark org] On Behalf Of Gerald Combs
Sent: den 26 februari 2015 01:12
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 52115: /trunk/epan/ /trunk/epan/: addr_resolv.c

On 2/25/15 2:59 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On 09/17/13 00:55, etxrab () wireshark org wrote:
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=5211
5

User: etxrab
Date: 2013/09/16 09:55 PM

Log:
  Don't call gethostbyaddr() we have already read the local hosts
file, settle for that.

Directory: /trunk/epan/
   Changes    Path             Action
   +0 -30     addr_resolv.c    Modified

Hmmm, this change means that on systems without C-ARES or GNU ADNS,
external name resolution does not work at all (even for stuff that's
in /etc/hosts).

Any objection to reverting this?

Or if we really want to kill off gethostbyaddr() we should disable
"Use external name resolver" when we don't have an asynchronous name
resolver (to make it obvious to the user s/he has a system where we
don't want to do name resolutions).

No objection here, although reverting should include switching to getaddrinfo. I haven't looked at it that closely but
we might be to add dns.c and make asynchronous resolution always-on:

http://25thandclement.com/~william/projects/dns.c.html

No objection here either - at the time - as far as I remember - I thought it was a duplication of something done
earlier... Reading the hosts file twice(on windows?)?

Regards
Anders