Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:04:26 -0800

On 1/5/15 10:02 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

On 5 January 2015 at 17:35, Stephen Fisher <sfisher () sdf org
<mailto:sfisher () sdf org>> wrote:

    On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 05:20:27PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:

    > Yes, use CMake :-)
    >
    > There are other cross-platform build solutions such as SCons, but it's
    > just as bad as CMake (or maybe worse, I haven't tried anything other
    > than a toy project).
    >
    > Adding a dissector to CMake is as simple as it is for nmake with the
    > bonus that it works for both Windows and Linux (and wherever else
    > CMake is used).  Doing anything else with the CMake build system
    > requires a lot of head scratching as getting the required output from
    > the arcane language of CMake files can be a battle.

    With such a glowing review as that.. I'm not sure I want to try CMake :)
    Perhaps it would be better to handle the different platform build
    methods ourselves.

It's the least worst option.  It is actively used elsewhere though.

We've handled the platform differences in the past by using make and
nmake and autofoo and other piles of configuration grief.

Note that "Nmake" in our case is actually "Nmake plus QMake". We could
create a ui/qt/Makefile.nmake with the required moc, rcc, uic, and
compiler commands but the effort would probably be better spent on
bringing the CMake configuration to 100% completion. I'll send a
separate email about that shortly.