Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 10:08:53 +0000

On 4 January 2015 at 03:58, Stephen Fisher <sfisher () sdf org> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 06:52:56PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:

OK, it seems that even after all the complaints MS still haven't
updated VS 201x to provide it.  IIRC it went missing in VS2010. See
here for at least one complaint about it:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/771247/win32-mak-is-missing-from-vs-2012-win-8-sdk-install

Which installs don't have it?  I just installed VC 2013 Community
Edition at home (the Win7 machine was at work), this time a32-bit Win8
and it also has the file, but I again needed to update the INCLUDE path:

SET INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include

Maybe your Win7 SDK came from an earlier install of the Platform SDK?  I
think mine did, I do have a separate entry for it in the Add\Remove
Programs list.  I don't think VS2013 installs that SDK, only the Win 8 ones
which are missing the file.

I really should try removing VS2013, removing the Win 7 SDK, checking for
detritus and re-installing VS2013 CE again.

I wish we could distribute it ourselves, but it has an MS copyright
notice on it.  Can we ask someone about it?

Do we really need it?  It says on the top:

# Win32.Mak - Win32 application master NMAKE definitions file for the
#     Microsoft Windows SDK programming samples

Which makes it sound like its intended for the programming samples and
just setups up a bunch of variables/options.

I think we do need some of the vars.  I suppose we could replicate the
bits we need in our own makefile.

However, if I ever (or someone else assists) get the Windows CMake build
fully operational, all this will go away as we can drop the nmake support.

--
Graham Bloice