Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Enabling/disabling ANY heuristic dissector

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadrielk () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:01:44 -0400

On Jul 13, 2015, at 9:32 AM, mmann78 () netscape net wrote:

I thought somebody might complain about something like this, but I was more focused on the Wireshark (packet) context
menu, where I was less inclined to make changes.  This however seems like a more valid use case to consider.  My
question back would be - what "string" should be used by tshark?  The "display name" can have some undesirable
characters in it from a command line perspective (ie probably require quotes), and the "internal" short name string
isn't otherwise exposed for users to learn what is.
Should the "short name" be exposed on the tabbed dialog so users can learn it to apply it to a (new) tshark option?

The short name should be used - it’s likely there will be changes to the long descriptive ones, but we can keep the
short one whatever it is so it doesn’t break scripts invoking tshark.

But yeah, I do think that means it needs to be shown in the tabbed dialog.  Also, at some point tshark’s ‘-G’ should be
able to dump the list of names as well.

-hadriel