Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Enabling/disabling ANY heuristic dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:06:39 -0700

On Jul 14, 2015, at 4:23 AM, mmann78 () netscape net wrote:

I started looking at the long options, but I thought they also needed a corresponding mnemonic letter as well.

No - part of the whole reason for long options is to give you an escape when you run out of the subset of ASCII
characters not used as shell metacharacters.

In getopt_long(), they do need a numerical value for the switch statement, but the value returned by getopt_long() is
an int, so there's plenty of room for numerical values that aren't char values.  We just #define the additional values
for long options that don't have matching short options.