Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Qt: Convert ProtoTree from QTreeWidget to Model/View

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 17:54:49 -0700

On Mar 9, 2015, at 5:25 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

Why should it? Why yank away useful information just because the user
closes the capture file?

Hmm.

At that point, one could argue that you still have the capture open, in some sense, even if you don't have a viewer
window for it.

I'm not sure whether any other applications support the notion of a main window for a file, windows for stuff from that
file, and closing the main window and leaving the other windows open, so I'm not sure what UI models there are for us
to follow when providing this capability.

Apple Mail lets me double-click on a message to pop up a window containing it (an analogy to double-clicking on a
packet) and then close viewer windows (analogous to the Wireshark main window for a file) without the
individual-message windows closing - but it doesn't have the notion of mailboxes as documents.  "New Viewer Window"
just pops open a new window for all my mail, with a pane to let me browse through mailboxes and view individual
mailboxes.