Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to rid of queries swamping logs in non-online Wireshark

From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:12:39 +0200

On 160321-10:54-0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Miroslav Rovis <
miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr> wrote:

Hi!

Hi!
You already helped me with the important link, after which I can't stop
decrypting SSL ;-) :
The SSL tcp stream decoding in Users' Manual?
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/201509/msg00011.html
And I thanked you here:
(8644 views currently)
SSL Decode & My Hard-Earned Advice for SPDY/HTTP2 in Firefox
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1029408.html#7819968
(and mentioned you later as well, when I found you among the top
Wireshark developers, but can't find that page on Gentoo Forums quickly)

However, two things.

This, the first thing:
Here is a recent log:

Mar 19 15:07:01 g5n kernel: [10907.301170] grsec: (miro:U:/) exec of
/usr/bin/dumpcap (/usr/bin/dumpcap -S -Z none ) by
/usr/bin/dumpcap[wireshark:11319] uid/euid:1000/1000 gid/egid:1000/1000,
parent /usr/bin/wireshark[wireshark:12197] uid/euid:1000/1000
gid/egid:1000/1000

[...]

has stopped. So it could be something else the reason, as I run dumpcap
from normal user terminal, via sudo.

And back at the time of that periodically occuring kind of log swamping
by Wireshark, I wasn't even running dumpcap...

So it must be something else missing in the picture. The next time it
occurs, if it does, I'll be back to tell about it.

Wireshark is starting dumpcap periodically to check the status of the
interfaces (and also get statistics from them).  I think the only way
you'll be able to disable this (from the Wireshark side) is to make it so
you don't have permission to start dumpcap (from Wireshark).  Obviously
this conflicts with your use of dumpcap (as the same user) to actually
capture.

I suppose a simpler method would be to simply rename dumpcap to something
you'll know but Wireshark won't, e.g., `dumpcap-real`.

And the second thing is, I kept looking if there were replies for a day
or two, and then I thought I put a stupid question, and that nobody
would reply.

Thanks, Jeff, you're one of my heroes, and Wireshark is great! (If only
I had such understanding to be able to contribute... I hope at least
when I post about it, I attract a few newbies...)

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia