Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to rid of queries swamping logs in non-online Wireshark

From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 07:21:26 +0200

On 160329-11:29-0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Miroslav Rovis <
miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr> wrote:

On 160321-10:54-0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Miroslav Rovis <
miro.rovis () croatiafidelis hr> wrote:

Hi!

Hi!
You already helped me with the important link, after which I can't stop
decrypting SSL ;-) :
The SSL tcp stream decoding in Users' Manual?
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/201509/msg00011.html

You mean add the SSL decoding stuff to the manual (rather than just in the
Wiki)?  I'm a bit hesitant to duplicate information--especially given how
helping others.) >
Of course not good duplicating. You helped me by giving me that link.
This, the first thing:
Here is a recent log:

Mar 19 15:07:01 g5n kernel: [10907.301170] grsec: (miro:U:/) exec of
/usr/bin/dumpcap (/usr/bin/dumpcap -S -Z none ) by
/usr/bin/dumpcap[wireshark:11319] uid/euid:1000/1000
gid/egid:1000/1000,
parent /usr/bin/wireshark[wireshark:12197] uid/euid:1000/1000
gid/egid:1000/1000

[...]

has stopped. So it could be something else the reason, as I run dumpcap
from normal user terminal, via sudo.

And back at the time of that periodically occuring kind of log swamping
by Wireshark, I wasn't even running dumpcap...

So it must be something else missing in the picture. The next time it
occurs, if it does, I'll be back to tell about it.

OK, I was thinking that Wireshark (the GUI) was periodically running
dumpcap.  I know it does at least at startup but I don't know how it gets
the interface statistics (the sparklines next to the interfaces in the Qt
UI)--I assumed it was running it periodically.

Will be back here if it happens again. Why it happened know even less
than you. Especially since it's not happened since then.
And the second thing is, I kept looking if there were replies for a day
or two, and then I thought I put a stupid question, and that nobody
would reply.

Do you mean that you didn't get a copy of the reply?
Oh I did. I just quit looking after a day or two for the reply. My
fault! I should have.
Are you subscribed to
the list?
Of course I am.
If not it's generally a good idea to tell people to be sure to
Cc: you on their reply otherwise they will reply just to the list (that's
the default behavior for the list)--and you'll only see the reply if you go
searching in the list archives.

Thanks, Jeff, you're one of my heroes, and Wireshark is great! (If only
I had such understanding to be able to contribute... I hope at least
when I post about it, I attract a few newbies...)

No problem. :-)
Thanks again!

--
Miroslav Rovis