Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Conditional compiles

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 17:41:53 +0100

Hello,

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:01:06AM +0100, Roland Knall wrote:
HAVE_LIBPCAP not only serves as a check for having libpcap in the first
place, but also for changing the UI if it is not there. Which would mean,
that putting a small non-functional header-only satisfying version within
the repository would lead to versions of Wireshark being build, acting very
differently then they are supposed to. For instance, remote capture
capabilities are only enabled, if the corresponding function actually
exists. Which leads to reduced code and binaries if the function does not.
Now putting a small reduced function which only serves to satisfy some
header functionality within the repository would bloat up the general
binary.

Actually I personally don't like to have a software to sometimes have an item
and sometimes not - an item being greyed out is OK, but missing is not nice,
especially for users trying to follow instructions they found on the internet.
But that is (mostly) a matter of taste.

Wrt the size bloat: I don't buy this argument, as we have many features that
are rarely used - and a stub libpcap wouldn't have to be big, the current
fullblown 64-bit libpcap on my system is 310k. And a version that basically
does not have any Interface access could be much smaller. In case we wanted
to we could stub out the bpf-compiler and other stuff as well, but personally
I think a version that doesn't provide any local capture code would be fine.

Wrt using a full libpcap wherever possible: Sure, but there seem to be some
environments where this isn't possible (e.g. iOS - OK, I'm not aware someone
built Wireshark for it anyway) although I'm not sure whether there exists a
libpcap for iOS or if it just wouldn't manage to enable capturing or whatever.
As far as "security" concerns in companies are concerned: Providing someone
with Admin/root permissions and then providing a crippled version of Wireshark
is corporate lawyer logic - something to be avoided by normal mortals ;->

Ciao
  Jörg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>