Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Using Google Protobuf to Export Full Packet Dissection Data via Named Pipe

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:18:48 -0700

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 7:07 AM, Mark () verizon net <mlandri () verizon net> wrote:
Thanks Roland!

I guess I'm asking if it'd be value added for me to submit my protobuf
solution as an addition to current Wireshark dev branch. I've already
written the code. I'd just have to figure out how to incorporate it into the
Wireshark build process. It's written in c++ and requires pthread and
protobuf libs be installed.

Happy to do it but would be good to know beforehand if it'd be compatible
with Wireshark design ethos and if the community would see value in it.

Hmmm, this is interesting ...

Having recently created a program to generate Wireshark dissectors
from XDR I thought, why not do the same for GRPC (which is based on
Protobufs.)

I have done a little bit of investigation, and I believe it can be
done (in C++) but haven't written any code as yet.

I guess I will have to do some more work on this soon when my new
802.11 sub-dissector project is done.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe