Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Question for LUA dissection

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:57:05 -0500

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Roland Knall <rknall () gmail com> wrote:

Hi

Just a short question.

I have a protocol, which transports information via TCP. Now we have a
segmented download via this protocol, which in turn is a TCP segmented
transfer.

I can desegment_tcp_pdus, and end up with a couple of messages with the
bigger blocks, which I now need to desegment further.

I am at a loss on how to do that, does anyone have an idea? In C I would
use taps and display the final files somewhere else (not in the packet
stream), but not really have an idea on how to do this in LUA.

In C you could also use dissect_tcp_pdus() and get the (reassembled) packet
in your dissector and dissect that.

Anyone got an Idea?

There's an old thread about that; here are a couple useful looking answers:

https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201610/msg00057.html
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201610/msg00067.html