Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark 64bit on multicore CPU's

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:04:00 -0700

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 5:29 AM,  <Christian.Calonder () swisscom com> wrote:
Hi,

we are evaluating a new trace server for analyzing 10GBit/s traffic and I
would like

to know if Wireshark supports multicore CPU's. If no, we don't need to order

multicore CPU for this server.

While WireShark runs on multi-core CPUs, it does not distribute the
important work, AFAIK, among separate cores.

In my experience, the things that improve Wireshark performance are:

1. Memory. 64GB or more.
2. Using SSDs or NVMe.

--
Regards,