Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Why are ett[] arrays static?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 13:40:19 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 11:59 AM Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com>
wrote:

It seems to me that making it static is just wasting space (keeping the
array around forever)?

Interesting point, Jeff! Do you expect enough memory save that is worth of
a massive change?

A simple `grep` tells me there are about 40k ett variables.  Storing 64-bit
pointers to all of them that would be about ~300k of space.  Some ett[]
arrays aren't currently static so the actual number should be somewhat
lower than that.