Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark 3.0.0rc1 on macOS Mojave 10.14.3

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 14:02:00 -0800

On 2/25/19 8:04 AM, Jaap Keuter wrote:

On 24 Feb 2019, at 21:30, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

Just tried it, no luck.

And no stack trace, either.

What capture file are you running this on, and what operation are you performing on it?

This is from just trying to start Wireshark after running the installer, not a capture file involved.

It looks like we need to build GMP for older CPUs.

According to your last crash report, you're running a Core i7-3720QM and crashed in mpn_submul_1. GMP's "Build Options"
documentation at https://gmplib.org/manual/Build-Options.html says that it can be optimized for a number of CPUs, and
that its configure script defaults to "this CPU here, right here in my office". For the macOS builder that's a Core
i7-8700B

The "Notes for Package Builds" section of the documentation recommends "--enable-fat" when shipping binary packages,
which builds a range of optimized code and chooses the fastest at run time:
https://gmplib.org/manual/Notes-for-Package-Builds.html

Homebrew defines an "oldest supported CPU", which appears to be "core2" and builds for that:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/gmp.rb
https://github.com/Homebrew/brew/blob/master/Library/Homebrew/hardware.rb

...so, should be build GMP for everything or a single, older CPU?