Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-workers] New RFCs for 1) pcap file format and 2) rpcapd protocol?

From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 12:01:53 -0700

On Apr 1, 2020, at 11:51 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

5) Treat rpcap as "remote procedure call for libpcap" and put it under the the-tcpdump-group team, and put pcap
under the pcapng team as per the same reason as 4).

Ok.

This would require the rules in the pcapng repository Makefile to be in
the libpcap Makefile.in.

Michael, would that be inconvenient to maintain?

Yes, I think it would be a pain, but it could be done.
I certainly would not use the complex lib/* makefile if we really wanted to
do that.   What about cmake side of things?

It's complex, too - and I don't know whether anybody's done a CMake version of that.

Would it make more sense to put the rpcap I-D into either 1) a separate team and repository or 2) another repository in
the pcapng group, so that it has its own Makefile?