Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump-workers] New RFCs for 1) pcap file format and 2) rpcapd protocol?

From: Michael Tuexen <michael.tuexen () lurchi franken de>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 17:49:07 +0100

On 21. Mar 2020, at 23:10, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf () sandelman ca> wrote:

Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:
Currently, on GitHub, there's a "pcapng" team:
https://github.com/pcapng

with one repository containing the pcapng specification, and a "the-tcpdump-group" team:

https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group
with repositories for libpcap, tcpdump, and the tcpdump.org Web site.

It makes sense to me to keep those specifications on a site such as
GitHub; GitHub comes to mind first because that's where pcapng
currently is.

1) add them as repositories to the pcapng team;

1) has the slight disadvantage that the name for the team suggests it's
for pcapng only; it appears that teams can be renamed:

Were we to rename it, I don't know what would be a good new name.

I'm good with pcapng, because I also have no other suggestion.
I would like to restart the opsawg work on an IETF specification for this.
I would support this. However, last time I tried this, I was not successful.
There were not very interested in defining a file format...
Maybe things have changed, but I don't know.

Best regards
Michael

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF () sandelman ca>, Sandelman Software Works
-= IPv6 IoT consulting =-