Wireshark mailing list archives

Setcap in ubuntu 20.04

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 21:20:40 +0100

Hi
I got a new laptop and I took the chance to upgrade my OS. Now I have
Ubuntu 20.04. Today I had an unexpected behavior. After compilation, I
issued the setcap command, but then I got:

$ sudo setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip run/dumpcap
$ ./run/dumpcap -D
./run/dumpcap: error while loading shared libraries: libwsutil.so.0: cannot

Removing the capabilities gave my dumpcap back.

$ sudo setcap -r run/dumpcap
$ ./run/dumpcap -D
1. wlp59s0
2. nlmon0
3. lo (Loopback)
[...]

Another user from ask, hit the same problem, like 1 year ago, on ubuntu 18:
https://ask.wireshark.org/question/12115/wireshark-dumpcap-with-setcap-set-to-no-root-capture-failes-to-start-in-ubuntu-1810/
I'm still trying to figure out if I made other configurations before, but I
can't recall anything useful.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Dario.