Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Question for Wireshark

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:46:38 +0000

Please do NOT use Wireshark with elevated privileges.  It's totally
unnecessary (unless you have unfortunately ticked the npcap option to
require admin privs, in which case reinstall npcap and uncheck that box),
and more importantly it allows the 2 million + lines of unaudited code in
Wireshark full access to your machine, to do as they wish, as directed by
any network traffic that may be passing by your NIC.

The original issue may be caused by some sort of failure in the
installation of npcap, you can try the standard repair of uninstall npcap,
reboot, install the latest npcap version from their website (
https://nmap.org/npcap/), or it could be caused by certain anti-virus or
VPN products interfering with npcap.