Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Byte view mouse hover behaviour

From: John Thacker <johnthacker () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:44:50 -0400

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 7:23 AM Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl> wrote:

Hi all,

Often when working with captured data from some development setup I wonder
around the packet bytes with the mouse pointer to try and follow where in
the code under development certain parts of a packet contents is being
created. What happens now is that the highlighting of the field where this
particular bytes are from follows the mouse pointer. But I'm working the
other way around, by first selecting a field in the packet details, then
dive into the packet bytes, where I would like the selected field
highlighting to remain, so I can navigate around while keeping my bearings
in the packet.

But I recon this will upset people. So putting it behind a preference
would a the way to go. The the question becomes where to put that? Anyone a
good idea?

I would appreciate that, I have wished for that behavior myself. While one
option is just giving it a name so that people can only access it through
Preferences->Advanced, I think the most natural place is in
Appearance->Layout. There's already a section for Packet List settings
there, that includes a preference for "Enable mouse-over colorization." (
https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/blob/master/epan/prefs.c#L3377-L3380)
Perhaps add a "Packet Bytes settings" group and then the new preference.

Cheers,
John Thacker