Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: locked out of XP, need file access

From: Jan Lühr <jluehr () gmx net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:33:27 +0100

Greetings,

Am Mittwoch, 24. Dezember 2003 16:45 schrieb J. Yoon:
I'm locked out of my own Windows XP box.
Being a paranoid,
I have not provided myself with any password hints
even for the administrator mode.

I do remember about 2 characters from it though
but there's just too many combinations.

Do you remember the length, over characters, kind of characters?
If so, you can reduce the possible combination down to a few thousend and
easily break the hash  in the sam database.

There are personal files in there that I need to access.

I remember that with the old Win98,
it was possible to do something with the .pwd file
(not that we needed it,
since all the files are accessible anyway)
but I'm sure things have changed significantly since.

They do. Win98 is a single, XP multi-user user platform.

I did infact try using a XP password recovery tool kit
and global-resetter thing I got from the net...
but the software asks me to enter root password

root-password? What the hell are you talking about. There is no root in
the M$-hell ;). (Sorry, but the word-play was to attraticve ;)

and then tells me to get lost.
It's strange and ironic,
because the passwd is precisely what I'm trying to figure out.

If you don't have any encryption delete or modifiy the sam database with a
ram-disk linux.
Ask google.

Keep smiling
yanosz
--
... Lehrst du ihn fischen, so ernährt er sich für immer.
... Lehrst du ihn Plutonium anzureichern, so bombt er für immer.